Sunday, September 14, 2008

THREE MEALS

"The bread was broken and passed around--silence filled the room--everyone had their own idea of what this event would mean to them, but in the end--all except Jesus got it right." Jeff Johnson March 2008

Easter, the death of Jesus on the cross, the resurrection, all of this is so very important to us. But today, this HOLY DAY, I want to discuss three very important meals and their roles.

The first meal--the last supper in the upper room.
Luke 22: 19"And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." 20In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you." Missing in the room was Thomas, one of the disciples and Judas. Oh yes, Judas was there in body, but missing in spirit and mind. He had his own agenda, bought and paid for! Judas was there to see his own plan through already leaving Jesus with money in hand. Thomas, was absent in body, but present in mind and spirit--wondering about the entire experience--living in fear of what it would mean in the long term message--scared to participate. Which one of these disciples resemble you and I. Are we on this HOLY DAY looking in our hearts and knowing Jesus is there, knowing Jesus is real, having HIM near us feeding us and we are either absent in mind and spirit because we are scared to participate in association with HIM, or absent in mind and spirit because we are participating in our own agenda? During the first of the three meals Jesus mentions "Do this in remembrance of me"--where are you as you remember HIM? The disciples, humans just like you and I, coming to Jesus, remembering HIM, following scripture, just like you and I in more ways than meets the eye.

The second meal is with Thomas. John 20:
Thomas is explaining to the other disciples about how he must see the risen SAVIOR before he believes. Thomas and the disciples are eating together in a locked room and Jesus just appears, 27"Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."28Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"29Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." Talk about just passing through a neighborhood and dropping by--Thomas is face to face with Jesus. Jesus offers Thomas exactly what he needs to believe--all doubts are eliminated--all fear is gone now--conviction on which I stand was transformed from loose sand to solid steel and concrete. The problem with being skeptical is you must consider both sides. On one hand Thomas had to consider his friends view--the other disciples would not have a reason to lie about the resurrection, but on the other hand--he doubts. Where are we at this meal--HOLY DAY after JUST DAY BY DAY we walk the same walk-- we consider during life circumstances how Jesus fits in--is HE real or is there room to doubt. If we believe one word of the Bible--like Jesus died and rose again, then we must take Thoma's story and believe. Jesus said, "In remembrance of me," but in which direction are we going with Jesus as we remember? Both Thomas and Judas had purpose in their direction--do you or I have purpose in our direction with Jesus?

The third meal is found in Revelations 3:

20
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."
This verse is not time dated--it does not expire, and this meal would be worthless without the other two. This meal has no value without the cross and the resurrection--but with those two events IT IS THE MEANING. Jesus wants to sup with you and I--in our hearts--forever. The food is unlimited and filling to overflow. During the three meals--where are you and I with Jesus--near HIM but absent in some way because of agendas; doubting issues but considering both sides equally; or ready to sup with HIM, accepting HIS open invitation for a meal already paid in full? Just knock on the door--Ask HIM into your heart today--WALK 'TOTALLY' BESIDE HIM---YOU ARE A FORWARD STEPPER--do not walk alone anymore, Jesus is there waiting. Come--this year--this day--lets share a meal together! I believe in you because YOU ARE WORTH IT, Jeff

No comments: